The history of Ravenshaw College is virtually the history of modern Odisha and it is said that anybody who is somebody in Odisha is a Ravenshawvian. A small school established in 1841 was raised to the status of a College affiliated to the Calcutta University in 1875 through the efforts of Mr. T.E. Ravenshaw. It was the great famine of 1866 in which a million people perished which made the then government conscious of the fact that the seriousness of the situation would not be realized because of lack of proper education in the state. The famine occurred during the tenure of office of Mr. Ravenshaw as Commissioner and paradoxically he has left behind his name to conjure with more than a Century now. It seems proper to refer to the connection between the famine and the spread of liberal education just to draw the attention of the present generation to the fact that education alone will bring effective solutions to the problems of the country.
The present building of the Ravenshaw College situated over a land of eighty-seven acres was laid on November 11, 1919, by Sri Edward Gait, the then Lt. Governor of Bihar & Odisha. The new building was inaugurated in July, 1921. The government has now taken a decision to declare the Ravenshaw College as a Deemed University.
The other important educational institutions in Cuttack are Revenshaw Collegiate Schoo Pyarimohan Academy, Ravenshaw Girls' High School, Bhaktamadhu Vidyapitha, Stewart School; Stewart Science College, Christ College, Madhu Sudan Law College, Christ Collegiate School, Cambridge School, Convent Girls' School, Odisha School of Engineering, Radhanath Training College and J.B. Womens College.