Barabati Fort was built in 13 AD and is situated on the right bank of river Mahanadi. The Fort Was roughly square in design over an area of 100 acres. The Fort is surrounded on all sides by a stone-line moat with a width of 10 meters on its northern and western side and 20 meters on the eastern on the eastern and southern side.
Barabati Fort was built by Anangbhima Dev-3 (1211 to 1238 AD) of the Ganga dynasty. Subsequently, Raja Mukund Dev built a palace of nine storeys high. The first storey was taken up for the elephants; the second was occupied by artillery and the guards; the third by patrol and gate-keepers; the fourth by workshops; the fifth by the kitchen; the sixth contained the public reception rooms; the sementh was the private apartment; the eighth was the women's apartment and the ninth was the sleeping chamber of the king.
The Fort is in ruins and presently, Archeological Survey of India is excavating the area.
The Barabati Fort is surrounded by a stone-line moat on all sides having a width of 10 metres on its northern and western sides and 20 metres on the eastern and southern sides. The moat was connected to the river Mahanadi. The moat was filled with crocodiles for protection of the Fort. one can see its original shape at the entrance of the Fort to some extent. The Moat was excavated during the last Suryavanshi Rules in Orisha in the 15th /16th century A.D. The moat of Barabati built for protection is also locally known as 'Gadakhi' .